Friday, January 9, 2009

Legal Assistant - East Lansing

After scouring the job boards all day, I finally found a position that I can apply for. There were over 140 new jobs posted on Indeed today and several new jobs posted on the State of Michigan website, but ultimately the position I applied for today came from Career Builder.

It's another legal assistant position, this time with an estate planning firm. I'd go into more detail, but that's all there is. No email, no website, no phone number, just a PO Box number in East Lansing. I'm always sort of nervous about job postings without any information other than an address. Where am I sending my resume? I guess I just have this weird fear that there's some wacko out there collecting resumes and then stalking people, scaring the crap out of them because s/he knows what their major was in college and where they worked five years ago. Could be a creepy horror movie, a Dateline special, or it could be my life thanks to the Michigan economy. I'll try to keep you posted as to whether or not this last job application gets me killed.

On a note more relevant to the job, I would make a great legal assistant for this firm. I loved my Estates & Trusts class and kicked butt on a will drafting assignment. It will also help to start learning about the Michigan probate system, since that's usually what people ask about once I tell them I'm in law. Having gone through the disposition of my father's will and trust, I also got a sense of what to do when a grieving family comes in to see you. Rather, I got a good idea of what not to do. That's another post for another day, but I will tell you that the bottom line is: Don't act like a hotshot know-it-all attorney.

Tomorrow is Saturday and I haven't decided if I'm going to give the online job search a break or not. I'm thinking I may take tomorrow to email all of my contacts and see if they have any connections to any of the jobs I've applied for this past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment